Re: Availability of STC Publications -Reply

Subject: Re: Availability of STC Publications -Reply
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- DJTTD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:45:35 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:54:11 -0500, you wrote:

>I thought I had limited the "outrageous" tag to the Conference
>Proceedings purchased from the STC office after a conference. My
>apologies if it didn't come across that way. This fee is $60 for
>members and $90 for non-members. I didn't say it is unjustified, in
>the world of the printing press technology. It does, however, seem to
>me that there would be a much cheaper way to get that information out
>to members and non-members alike in the world of the web technology.
>
>Bill Sullivan

For the 1997 STC annual conference in Toronto, the Toronto chapter produced a
CD-ROM containing (if memeroy serves) about 90 articles from the Proceedings
along with other material. They sold it for about $15.

I see no reason why the whole Proceedings shouldn't be available on CD-ROM --
I'd much rather have it in an online format that I could quickly search and
scan, than in the current binder format. It would probably be cheaper to
produce too. And you could put the whole thing on the web.

Basically, all you would have to do would be to produce a standard format
using a Cascading Style Sheet, then tell authors that they have to submit
thier articles in HTML using that style sheet. PDF format could be an
optional extra.

Regards
Keith

Regards
Keith
Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- djttd -dot- com -- http://www.interlog.com/~ksoltys/
Senior Technical Writer, Technical Development, Dow Jones Markets Inc.
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein