Re: Writing samples

Subject: Re: Writing samples
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:05:39 -0500

John,

You make some good points.

>>I don't send samples with a resume for four reasons.
> 1) I never get them back and unfortunately, I often don't have an
> unlimited supply of material, let alone being comfortable with where
> they will end up.<<

Can't you make a photocopy? I always ask for "three brief nonreturnable
samples." I'm not looking for entire books -- just a few pages from
each of three separate projects to see whether you can do this kind of
work.

>>2) If the person soliciting the position cannot tell enough about the
applicant from the resume and phone conversation to know if the person
is worth further investigation, then "in most cases", the person doesn't
really know what they are looking for or how to do this part of the
process.<<

I'm just looking for a data point that shows me some of the kinds of
writing the candidate has done. The resume and phone conversation are
other data points. They all help me decide whether to interview.

>>3) I need to hold back enough information to justify meeting face to
face to sell myself. Chances are, if I send a resume and samples, the
decision will be made without having a chance to "close the sale"<<

The only time I make a decision based entirely on resume and samples is
when the candidate clearly doesn't have the qualifications. If you want
to hold back this information because you feel you sell yourself better
presenting the samples face to face, I would be intrigued if you said so
in your cover letter. I'd probably call you the minute I read that to
find out more about you.

>>4) I haven't had the chance to qualify you and the position to know if
I WANT to be considered. Interviewing is a two sided process and just
because the job IS available doesn't mean it is worth taking. <<

Sending samples with your resume doesn't preclude you from evaluating
me, my company, and the position. Matter of fact, if you're one who
doesn't send samples with a resume, my ad saying that I want samples
would *help* you evaluate me -- perhaps as a person you don't want to
work for.

>>As a tech writer, I have the ability to do things I never done before
(huh?) For instance..I may not have ever written user manuals for UNIX
programmers. Therefore, I may not have that type of sample and you are
going to discount (maybe not eliminate) me because of it. However, if
you have dealt with good writers, you know that the reason they are good
is because they know enough about the process of tech writing to get up
to speed in a foreign environment. That will not come through because
of the lack of sample.<<

My best performer had written very little software documentation (which
is what we do here). Her samples included a course outline she
developed and a guide for installing a particular kind of rubber
roofing, of all things. I was *excited* by the quality of the work she
presented. Her samples were strong evidence that she would be able to
come up to speed in a foreign environment.

It's not my intent to discount someone who hasn't done exactly the kind
of thing we're doing. I dream that someday an applicant will send me a
sample that looks and reads exactly like the stuff we produce. But
that's just not going to happen!

>>I understand that your process works for you and you should stick with
it. However, my process works for me and is less work for me.<<

Certainly, each of us is at a different place along the road.

Peace,
jim