Re: Top Resume and Cover Letter Pet Peeves

Subject: Re: Top Resume and Cover Letter Pet Peeves
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 07:56:34 -0500

>> 2. E-mailed resumes that use fonts I don't have on my computer,
making
>> all your careful formatting go haywire as Windows substitutes Times
>> New
>> Roman.
>>
>> 4. I realize this one's entirely personal preference, but I'm always
>> relieved to see someone avoid Times New Roman and Arial in a printed
>> resume and letter. It's stunning how many applicants use these tired
>> typefaces.
>
>Yahbut... I think people generally assume that TmsRmn and Arial are
>"safe" fonts.. for exactly the reason you stated in #2. You glorify
and
>penalize them in the same shot. :) Sure I could send you the fonts
with
>the mail .. but then you'd have to "work at it" and install the fonts.
>What's an applicant to do?

I've been asked about this several times now, mostly privately. I
didn't make myself very clear. My bias against Times New Roman and
Arial are entirely personal, so I don't let it affect my view of the
candidate. My best performer sent me a resume and cover letter done
entirely in Arial -- she just likes the typeface.

In a printed cover letter and resume, an applicant can use any typefaces
they want. I'm surprised, however by the number of applicants who use
them.

In an electronic cover letter and resume, however, what's most important
is that the information be transmitted with minimal damage to your
layout. One element of this is to use typefaces the recipient is
certain to have. This pretty much limits you to Arial and Times.

Peace,
jim