Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: Leslie Bythewood <leslie -dot- bythewood -at- EROLS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:56:30 -0500

Roth, Lesley, Ms., SAM-GATQ wrote:

> Would someone please explain what this term means and
> point me in directions where I can learn more.

You can find an excellent explanation of the Information Mapping concept
at http://www.imap.dk/imap.htm.

In a nutshell, Information Mapping is a highly structured form of
writing that involves labeling, or "calling out" the contents of each
text block for the reader. The callouts make it easier for readers to
scan and navigate their way through a document.

Writers who use this methodology like it because it immediately points
up holes in the documentation and forces them to organize their
thoughts.

The format looks something like this:

Label [text block--not to exceed seven lines]