Re: Contractors of Questionable Ability and making the leap (long )

Subject: Re: Contractors of Questionable Ability and making the leap (long )
From: Paula Puffer <papuffer -at- SWBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 00:36:45 -0600

Keith wrote:

>I was policed by a micro-manager who would literally track the time I
>went to the restroom. I also had the strangest restriction placed on me.
>I was developing WinHelp, but I had to write first and later add
>hotspots, topic IDs, graphics, etc. They considered those tasks
>"programming" and separate from writing. I could have finished in a
>third of the time. They claimed to have brought me in because of my
>experience, but listened to little of what I suggested.

I too had an experience where I was told by the person who hired me that I
was wanted for my technical expertise with a program and then was never
asked when problems arose. Luckily I wasn't in Keith's situation where I
micro-managed, however I did manage to make my manager angry when I brought
my part of the project in ahead of time and she had to have a two day
extension. She kind of made life a living hell for me after that and I soon
quit the contract. I wish I knew then what I know now.

I think the thing I've learned most over the last few years is that the
overall environment of the office does contribute to my work performance. I
enjoy going to work when the working environments are pleasant and the
people are friendly. When the opposite is true, I find myself dreading the
prospect of going in.

Thank goodness I currently work in an environment and with people I enjoy
immensely.

Paula
papuffer -at- swbell -dot- net