Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communicators
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:04:23 -0600

Melissa Brown wrote:

> I studied Computer Science for two years in college and that knowledge
> has proved to be invaluable on the job. Differential Equations I could
> do without...but not Pascal, COBOL (remember COBOL?), and Visual Basic.

I programmed for about four years before I became a technical writer.
The experience was beyond invaluable. Not only did it help me to
understand what I'm writing about (especially now, when I'm working on a
<corporate plug> a great distributed application server your companies
should all purchase </corporate plug>).

But my experience has helped me earn a lot more money than I would have
otherwise and put my in some pretty nice places while I earned it. When
I'm looking for jobs now, I use the programming experience as a
discriminator. I right good, but I also know the programmer's work life
and stresses and I understand what they're talking about.

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton, Sr. Technical Writer chamilton -at- gr -dot- com
Greenbrier & Russel http://www.gr.com