Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Programming Languages for Technical Communicators
From: Katherin King <kking -at- BROOKTROUT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:12:22 -0500

I document software for the computer telephony industry and I feel I am
seriously hampered by my lack of knowing programming languages like C++
and VB. It limits my ability to communicate with our software
developers, and to "translate" (isn't that what we do as techwriters?)
their work into English.

Although I have a background in engineering (many moons ago), I have
never taken a "real" computer course; I don't really comprehend the
basics of programming, i.e. the theory and concepts. Yes, I can "wing
it," and I have picked up a lot just by interacting with the developers,
but I could definitely use formal training in programming.

Kathy Stanzler
Technical Writer
Brooktrout Technology Inc.
Southborough, MA