Re: Style Guide for online help

Subject: Re: Style Guide for online help
From: Todd Snarr <todd_snarr -at- AUTOSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:27:10 -0700

Jennifer O Neil asked:

>I need to produce a style guide for online help. I've done one for
>our paper documents but am not sure what I should consider for online
>help and where I could go for info. Any ideas?

If you're writing Windows-based help, you could refer to Microsoft's "The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design" (ISBN 1-55615-679-0). Chapter 12, "User Assistance," provides guidelines for writing context-sensitive Help, task-oriented Help, reference Help, and wizards. Ask your developers for a copy of the book...if they're designing a lot of GUIs, they may have a copy floating around.

I don't know of anything specific to ASCII-based help, but many of the Windows-based guidelines can be applied to this environment as well.

Good luck...

Todd Snarr
Auto-Soft Corporation
Salt Lake City, UT