Re[2]: Programming Languages for Technical Communication

Subject: Re[2]: Programming Languages for Technical Communication
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:11:29 -0600

Unlike the trend to WYSIWYG in data manipulation tools, atempts to
create visual programming tools have met with no significant success,
except for UI building. Programming logic is still written in text
editors and there is no reason to suppose it will not contine to be.

"As it was, so shall it ever be, Blessed be the name of Stasis." Well,
let's see, I can write a complete laboratory data collection package
without touching a text editor. Rational Rose and other CASE tools are
capable of generating code which might need tweaked, but not written, much
like today's WYSIWYG web design packages. There's every reason to suppose
that text editors will disappear from all but the most retro programmers'
toolboxes in the not too distant future; they've already disappeared from
many.

Even if visual programming tools were to take over, however,
the skills of programming -- designing appropriate application logic
and data structures -- would still be required.

You're conflating programming and analysis/design.

But the tools for database extraction and reporting are already very
mature. And guess what -- they require programming. The fact of the
matter is that visual tools are good for simple problems, but for
expressing complex business logic, appropriate programming languages
are the best tools.

Actually, the need for tools capable of handling complex business logic is
what is driving the CASE industry. Nobody cares about tools for simple
problems. What we all want are tools to manage, design, and build the
montrosities business reality demands. CASE tools are designed for those
problems, not simple ones. And, BTW they don't always need programming. A
good tool can be used to build the next version of itself.

(Who said, "The only thing we learned from history isthat we don't
learn anything from history"?)

Truman, I think. I like Abba Eban's quote: "History teaches us that men and
nations will behave wisely -- after all other avenues ave been exhausted."

Change is coming, across the board. Tools evolve to the next level,
abstracting us farther from the basic work. Occasionally we need to fill in
the gaps with manual labor, but this is always a temporary measure. Our
tools will evolve to automate these tasks soon.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224