Re: Tool for drawing technical diagrams

Subject: Re: Tool for drawing technical diagrams
From: Walter Hanig <wdh -at- NETMANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 16:02:50 -0800

At 09:56 AM 1/20/98 +1000, you wrote:
>We occasionally draw technical diagrams which are embedded in Word 97
>documents. The diagrams don't really fit a standard (such as electrical
>diagrams, etc). Currently, we use the Word Picture functionality to
>create the diagrams, but find it fiddly and cumbersome. We have also
>tried Micrografx ABC Flowcharter and a really old version of Visio.
>
>What packages are available to create very basic technical diagrams?
>Are there any critiques of the packages? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Kylie

My opinions:

1. Use anything but Word Picture or any of the drawing tools that are part of office.
2. For anything but very complex drawings, use a recent version (4 or 5) of Visio. It will (imo, of course) have the shortest learning curve.
3. If you can handle the learning curve, Micrografx Designer is a great package, but harder to learn than CorelDraw.

Walter

Walter Hanig

NetManage, Inc.
12651 High Bluff Drive
San Diego, CA 92130, USA

Phone: 619-793-3173 FAX: 619-755-3998
e-mail: wdh -at- netmanage -dot- com wdhanig -at- connectnet -dot- com
Blood Type: O+