Font choices

Subject: Font choices
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:31:18 -0500

geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA wrote:

> In defence of Times, it and its variants are probably still
> the most commonly used typefaces in North America, and that
> alone makes it a good choice: familiarity may breed
> contempt, but it also adds comfort and facilitates reading.

True, but the other side of that is that if type choice is a means of
corporate identity (consider Apple and Garamond, or IBM and Bodoni
Antiqua), then, by using Times, you've lost the chance to make your
company's work distinctive.

To give your metaphor a savage beating and leave it lying limp on the
ground: a blue blazer may fit more circumstances than any other, but in
any given case, something else would be more appropriate.

And, come to think of it, I would argue that Time is readable only
because of its familiarity. By any of the usual standards of
readability, such as large x-heights, dozens of fonts are better
choices. For example, Palatino is extremely popular, but it remains a
good choice because of its readability.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"Spider spins its heart out, fox goes home alone,
Wisdom is a snake waiting underneath a stone,
Refuge is in silence or in any stony place,
I will not share your pity, your laws, or your disgrace."
--Oyster Band