Friday humour

Subject: Friday humour
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:42:20 +0000

Good communication is everything and we should never be intractable as the
following shows. (Not being from the US or Canada I feel I'm impartial.)

This is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation of a US naval ship
with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995.
**** Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.
Americans -
"Please divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid collision."
Canadians -
"Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the south to avoid
collision."
Americans -
"This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR
course."
Canadians -
"No, I say again, you divert YOUR course."
Americans -
"THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN
THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE A RE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE
DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT
YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH,
OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS
SHIP."
Canadians -
"This is a lighthouse. Your call."

Damien Braniff