Re: Use of the First Person

Subject: Re: Use of the First Person
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 12:32:52 -0500

This is only a theory, but maybe the standards organization wanted to be
cautious. Perhaps the _we_ could be construed as including the standards
organization if they publish the paper.

The word _we_ can be ambiguous, _researchers_ is less so. There is some
merit to their stylistic approach.

Dan Sabin wrote:

> I'm an engineer, and I recently submitted a paper to a pretty well-known
> standards organization. The reviewers rejected my paper mainly for
> stylistic reasons, especially as related to my use of the first person
> "we" when I was referring to myself and the other researchers on the
> project. For example, instead of saying, "The researchers found...," I
> often stated "We found..."

<judicious, digest-friendly pruning took place here>

--
Tom Johnson
Technical Writer