Academic Writing Style -- why?

Subject: Academic Writing Style -- why?
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:05:07 -0600

This is an offshoot of the first person thread. I understand that
scientific and academic writing includes a lot of third person and a lot
of passive voice. My question is: why?

Someone must have sat down at some point and said, "You know if we write
like this, we'll see x, y, and z advantages."

What are x, y, and z?

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Sr. Technical Writer chamilton -at- gr -dot- com
Greenbrier & Russel http://www.gr.com