Re: Row label bar

Subject: Re: Row label bar
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:02:21 -0500

Kim....and everyone I received responses from.

I wasn't satisfied with the name that MS gave it (Record Selection button) because I didn't think it was intuitive enough for the level of my target audience (they may not know that the entire row is a single record). I'm writing for a level that may have to do a process with very little preparation.

So...

I captured a picture of the Macro window and labeled with callouts the parts of the screen that were going to be discussed in the document. Now I was more comfortable with using the term Row Selector Buttons for the column name and Row Selector Indicator for the little triangle that shows what row is being selected.

I only labeled about 8 elements of the screen since everything else on the screen is not germane to the document.

Thanks for the suggestions

John Posada

Subject: Row label bar

John,

In documenting one of our database products which is based on Access 7.0,
we wrote the following sentence:

To select a row, click the appropriate segment on the row label bar (gray
bar to the left side of the data grid).

I think "row label bar" came from our developers, but I couldn't find any
Microsoft documentation that conflicted with this terminology. Let me
know if you come up with anything more definitive.

Hope this helps!

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 732-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for them.

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10
of us are. Ask me about it.