Re: [Long] Making Money in Technical Writing & Roger Peterson

Subject: Re: [Long] Making Money in Technical Writing & Roger Peterson
From: Andrew Plato <aplato -at- EASYSTREET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:30:44 -0800

I missed the first round of comments, but I can say there was one thing
missing from your book, Making Money in Technical Writing.

A stern warning to anyone who is considering becoming a freelancer that
doing so requires an extraordinary amount of commitment. I have been
freelancing now for almost two years and I work WAY more than I ever did as
a full-timer. It is not because I have a ton of clients, but because there
are so much work involved in setting up a company, marketing yourself, and
negotiating with clients.

I think a lot of people see freelancing in some rosy light. Like
freelancers are these free, happy, self-fullfilled people with lots of money
and free-time. The reality is, most freelancers are overworked, heavily
taxed, and often teetering on bankruptcy. Sure, you can make a lot of
money. But not without great expense to your sanity, social life, and
skills.

I rarely recommend this life style to people. I think it requires a certain
type of ego and attitude to make it as a freelancer. (Generally, ego
maniacs and workaholics are the only ones that ever succeed. I think I have
the ego maniac part figured out now.)

If security and free-time are important to you -- DO NOT become a freelance
tech writer.

Andrew Plato
Owner / Principal Consultant
Anitian Technology Services