Re: Font choices

Subject: Re: Font choices
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 19:48:34 -0500

"Linda K. Sherman" <linsherm -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET> wrote:

>If memory serves, and often it doesn't at my age, Palatino was
>originally intended as a headline font.

Yes, you are right. That is why Bringhurst and other typographers
suggest you replace it with Aldus if your font is 10 points or less.
Palatino looks dreadful at small sizes.

>I believe the popularity of Palatino has less to do with its >readability on the printed page than with the fact that for >some obscure technical reason it was more readable on the >Apple monitor than were the Postscript versions of Times.

Probably, that added to the popularity. About ten years ago, it seemed
to me that every Mac-based designer I encountered was using Palatino.

Still, Palatino has been popular every since it was released.

>I long ago adopted the policy of printing out sample
>pages from the document with different fonts and seeing which >simply looked best to the naked eye. The results are not >always what I think they will be

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this. When doing a template
or a small project like a brochure, I've printed 20 or more pages as
I've worked, just to help me make decisions.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"Spider spins its heart out, fox goes home alone,
Wisdom is a snake waiting underneath a stone,
Refuge is in silence or in any stony place,
I will not share your pity, your laws, or your disgrace."
--Oyster Band