Re: QUESTION: Proper Use of Adjectives

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Proper Use of Adjectives
From: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- OMNIMARK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:41:26 -0500

Kathy Fisher wrote:

>I was wondering if someone can straighten me out on this one. I'm confused
>about the use of the following. Is it correct to say:
>
>"I ate a healthy meal."
>
>-OR-
>
>"I ate a healthful meal."
>
>And what is the rationale? Thanks in advance.

Common usage is "healthy". It is never correct to be obscure, so common
usage should always be followed except where it might genuinely cause
confusion.

It is common and accepted usage to use adjectives to describe the effect
something will have on you. For example

a warm bed will make you warm
a comfortable chair will make you comfortable
happy hour will make you happy
thirsty work will make you thirsty
a curious event will make you curious
and, of course, a healthy meal will make you healthy

Anyway, "healthful" is moribund and you should always avoid it. If you don't
want to say "healthy", then say "nutritious".
---
Mark Baker
Manager, Corporate Communications
OmniMark Technologies Corporation