QUESTION: How much to charge for "feature" writing

Subject: QUESTION: How much to charge for "feature" writing
From: "V. A. Leslie" <ag862 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:44:41 -0500

Hello Techwhirlers,

I'm coming out of lurkdom to see if anyone can either tell me a formula for
caluculating how much to charge for a possible project, or direct me
somewhere that can. Yes I've checked the archives, and yes I've searched
on the web, but cannot find what I'm looking for.

Here is the scenario. I have been contacted to do some writing about how
an institution has obtained the items in its collection.

How much should I charge if I have to do the research and write the "stories"?

How much less should I charge if the institution supplies the research and
I just have to write the "stories"?

How much of a premium should I add if it ends up being a rush job?

I have never done this type of writing and so have no idea about time
involved, money, etc. The contact at the institution is as much in the
dark as I am about this whole thing too.

Please respond via e-mail to the address below.

Many thanks for your help.
Victoria A. Leslie
ag862 -at- freenet -dot- carleton -dot- ca