Re: Flow Chart Tools?

Subject: Re: Flow Chart Tools?
From: Wendy Phillips <wendy -at- SYNERGEX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:47:26 -0800

Hi, Diane,
For the purposes of developing documentation, I use Visio almost
exclusively for flowcharts. Unless you just do it by hand, it's very
hard to construct flowcharts any other way than with a specialized
flowcharting program. I have done it in Aldus Freehand and Adobe
Illustrator, but it was a pain. Usually, I would rather ask for a
sketch on paper (or sketch one out together) than ask an SME to use a
software package to create one.
For purposes of designing software, however, a developer would
probably want to use a Computer Aided Engineering (CASE) tool that helps
him/her create Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERDs). (An ERD is a type
of flowchart that specifies the relationships between entities,
attributes, and relationships in a software/business system.) A couple
examples of CASE tools are Oracle's Developer 2000 (non-object oriented)
and Rational Rose (object-oriented). I haven't used any CASE tools
personally (yet) so I'm afraid I can't offer a recommendation on which
is best for what. Are they any Techwhirlers on the list who can make a
recommendation?
HTH,
Wendy