Re: TW and grad school

Subject: Re: TW and grad school
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:16:48 -0600

Ummm, what's wrong with an academic program noticing the obvious?

Online help and manuals answer different user needs, and present
different navigational, organizational, delivery, and design challenges.

Some companies consider single-souring a hint that the document model
needs to be re-examined. Where I work, we solved the problem of
duplicating material in online and print by dramatically reducing the
amount of printed material. We now have manuals that are so short, some
people actually read them.

Given the relative expense of printed documentation, the unpopularity of
huge books, and the short lifespan of a single revision of a modern
technological product, I don't see a long future for widespread
single-souring. What needs to be on paper will be on paper. The rest
won't be. It works here.

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home: nax -at- execpc -dot- com