Spacing between Sentences

Subject: Spacing between Sentences
From: Mark Halpern <mhalpern -at- SCOPUS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:16:28 -0800

Colleagues,

Since I am in disgrace, I hesitate -- for fear of giving it the kiss
of death -- to champion any notion, but I am going to take a chance this
time, and second Mark Levinson on the subject of inter-sentence spacing.
He has quixotically defended the double space; allow me to add Sancho's
two pesetas.

The only rational argument I have ever heard against the practice of
using a double space at the end of a sentence is the "rivers of blood"
argument: it could, if you're not careful, result in unsightly "rivers"
of space running down the page. The answer, as my master the Don has
hinted, is to be careful. Given that, the only reason for opposing the
double space disappears, and all the anti-double space legions are left
with are cries of "You're a Luddite!" and similar attempts at
intimidation.

I now slink back into my doghouse.

Mark
Mark Halpern Scopus Technology
Sr Technical Editor 1900 Powell Street
mhalpern -at- scopus -dot- com Emeryville, CA 94608
510-768-2187