Re: JAD and the TW

Subject: Re: JAD and the TW
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:02:42 -0800

Greetings Matt,

I am a technical writer who has quite a bit experience with JAD
sessions. JAD sessions are akin to brain storming. JAD sessions allow
participants to engage in the free flow of ideas, where no idea is
considered "stupid" (we refer to "stupid" ideas as "out of scope
comments").

> I am wondering if this is a field worth investigating?

Most of the JAD sessions I was part of was when I was involved
in Oracle database application development. I am doubtful that JAD
sessions play a significant role in technical writing, except in
marketing perhaps. I have never heard of a TW/JAD, but that sounds like
an exciting field! Sign me up!

> I have thus far
> been focusing my career on documentation in software development,
> because of the superior job security and compensation, and now I'm
> curious if becoming a TW/JAD Facilitator would offer
> better/worse/similar rewards.

Being a JAD facilitator is mentally exhausting work. Most JAD
facilitators I have known share the same trait as me, they are all
ENTP's on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. As a professor at Rider
University once said, good JAD facilitators are born, they cannot be
made. If you can stand the pressure of being a JAD facilitator, go for
it. The best place to work is at one of the big six (now three?)
accounting partnerships.

Good luck!

Barry