Re: Word problem -- Word 95!

Subject: Re: Word problem -- Word 95!
From: "Jacobson, Avi (PBD)" <Avi -dot- Jacobson -at- PBDIR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:13:49 -0800

"Comstock-Fisher, Julie" <ComstocJ -at- kochind -dot- com> wrote:

> I have a pretty short document, around 5 pages long. When I print it,
> some of the lines print over the line above. I changed the line
spacing
> to double, so I could edit it, and it's doing this weird print thing
> even more now. Needless to say, it's making my text really hard to
read.

[snip]

> So, has anybody seen anything like this? If so, do you have a
solution?

This sounds like a printer-driver problem, rather than a Word problem.
Do you run into this with other text-based applications as well? You
might want to make sure you are using the most updated version of your
printer driver, and one that is compatible with your operating system.
(If you are using a 16-bit driver inherited from Windows 3.x, that could
be causing trouble.) Another possibility is that your driver enables
you to select whether TrueType fonts are interpreted as graphics. Try
it one way, then the other. Does this happen with all fonts: bitmap,
Type 1, TrueType?

I have seen similar problems occur when a real printer (call it Real
Printer A) is set to "emulate" another printer (call it Printer Type B)
and a driver for Printer Type B is used. In such cases, Real Printer A
is set up to "expect" to receive control codes that are compatible with
Printer Type B, but the Printer Type B driver is in fact sending codes
which Real Printer A does not recognize (like a "line feed" under
certain circumstances).

Try printing to another printer, if you have one. If you have WinFax or
another direct-fax program (even the one that comes with Windows), try
faxing your document to a friend or associate and checking the output.
If it looks OK, your problem is your local printer driver.

Good luck,
Avi

--
Avi Jacobson, email: Avi -dot- Jacobson -at- pbdir -dot- com | When an idea is
or: AviJ -at- amdocs -dot- com | wanting, a word
| can always be found
Opinions are those of the poster, =NOT= of | to take its place.
Amdocs, Inc. or Pacific Bell Directory. | -- Goethe