Re: box char

Subject: Re: box char
From: "Linda K. Sherman" <linsherm -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:41:39 -0500

Mark Gellis wrote:

> It happens to me sometimes when I save unix sessions as log files (anyone want
> a list of ALL the journals available for searching through CARL Uncover?) and
> then I convert that log to a word document. I find that if I save it as a pure
> ASCII text file and then open it in Word and re-save as a word file they go
> away. Of course, so do all other formatting features...

That's because UNIX ends lines of text with a different ASCII character
than do Windows, DOS, or the Mac. (So much for standards).

You can use Word's Replace feature to fix the document. The procedure is
something like this (I'm not in a position to test it at the moment, so
I apologize for any minor "bugs"):

1. Select and Copy the "box" character.
2. Choose the Replace... function.
3. Click on the More button.
4. Paste the "box" character into the Find What box.
5. Click on the Special button.
6. Select either Paragraph Mark or Manual Line Break.
(You'll have to experiment to figure out which one is best)
7. Set the Search option to All.
8. Click on Replace All.

If you find this works, you may want to create a macro for it.

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- concentric -dot- net>
Lintech Systems, Inc.