Re: Employment Interview

Subject: Re: Employment Interview
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 08:11:25 -0500

Normally I try not to pick arguments with people, but Helen, something
you wrote just doesn't make much sense to me. Would you rather have
someone hide the truth so you could deal with the consequences after you
hire them or tell you the truth so you can ask one or two clarifying
questions during the interview. It might be that the personality
conflict is something that wouldn't be an issue at all between you and
anonymous. Maybe the manager is too immature to deal with it. Maybe the
manager stares at her with lust in his eyes. I'm just saying anonymous
probably has a very legitimate reason for leaving. Hiding the truth, if
it is going to cause another problem later, is not a good solution. I
agree with Richard, honesty is the best policy. In our manuals, we can't
tell people what they would like to hear, we have to give them accurate
information so they can use our products to solve problems, not delay
them.

helen cygnarowicz wrote:

> I believe the safest answer to "why are you willing to leave your
> current employer" is "to make a career change" or "to further my career
> in the field." If you answer that you had a personality conflict, that's
> a warning to the questioner that either you don't have interpersonal
> skills to help you solve such a conflict, or you are too intimidated to
> stick up for yourself. I would be loathe to hire a person with either
> characteristic. If you answer that you are interested in furthering
> yourself, who can argue with you? And it makes you look a little better.
<snip>

--
Tom Johnson
Technical Writer

business mailto:johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal mailto:tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com
My opinions are still my own.