Re: Employment Interview Questions

Subject: Re: Employment Interview Questions
From: Jason Huntington <JasonH -at- CAPTURA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:57:28 -0800

Anonymous,

something like the following in the cover letter you provide with your
resume:

"My present job has always felt temporary. I'm in it for the
long haul, if possible. I'm looking for a job that offers more security
such as a written contract."

When I worked in a large documentation group at a predominately Mormon
division of a large company, I had a Mormon manager who would only
promote and give good projects and raises to his friends who were
faithful Mormons. The manager continually marginalized me by giving me
difficult, highly technical assignments which no one else would take.

His unfairness backfired on him, though, because as a result, he lost
his best editor/project manager, several competent writers, and me. I
rose to the assignments, learned HTML and Java on my own, and
transferred to a more prestigious group where I was appreciated,
promoted, and paid more for my technical prowess.

My point is, power to the people!

Keep hanging in there. Have you thought about transferring to another
area of the same company? If your manager has made you an enemy, then
he/she has probably made other enemies too.

Now Happily Employed at a Small Startup in the Pacific Northwest,

Jason Huntington
Senior Technical Writer