Re: Windows Interface Terminology

Subject: Re: Windows Interface Terminology
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 07:32:27 -0700

> From: Gail Gurman [SMTP:gail -at- HOMEMAIL -dot- COM]
> As part of the Win95 interface, there are some dialog boxes that
> have what I call "pages"; that is, multiple screens of information,
> generally used for setting properties, accessed by tabs.
> As I said, I've been calling these things pages in documentation,
> but the new contract tech writer prefers "screens."<snip>
> So, what's the verdict? Page? Screen? Something else?
I call them "tabs". Just like when you are looking through a
hardcopy report that has tabbed sections--you might refer to tab A, tab
B, etc. Software tabs are usually labeled (I hope), so if the tab label
is "Costs", I refer to it as "the Costs tab".

Screen? No, unless you're talking about the whole monitor image.
(Although, internally among the development team we often use "screen"
and "form" to refer to darn near anything. But we all know what we're
talking about. In documentation I strive to be consistent. :-)

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil

Previous by Author: Bob Sidman; Writing for online; grammar guides;
Next by Author: Job Posting: Dir. of Tech. Comm.
Previous by Thread: Re: Windows Interface Terminology
Next by Thread: Re: Windows Interface Terminology

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads