Re: measuring productivity and QUALITY

Subject: Re: measuring productivity and QUALITY
From: Matthew Bin <mattbin -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:54:02 PST

First things first: what definition of quality are we working with?
"Conformance to specifications"?

What specifications can we come up with? I can think of

1. Grammatical and spelling errors (0%)

2. Accuracy--every component looks and works as described (100%)

3. Goal orientation--"To Save your File" rather than "Using the File
Menu" (well this would be one of mine!) (100%)

4. Conformance to required style sheet (for terms and so on) (100%)

What else? 1, 2, and 4 are pretty obvious, I think; you may jump on 3
with golf shoes, but I think that's the sort of thing we're aiming for.

Or maybe I ought to go back further. What are the requirements of the
reader? We can figure out specifications and measuring the conformance
later.

Well that's my five centses.

Matthew Bin
Technical Writer