Question: Launching applications from web page

Subject: Question: Launching applications from web page
From: Joan Michaeli <joan -at- RTS -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:37:29 +0200

I have unsuccessfully searched the Netscape and Microsoft web sites for an
answer to my question, and I've searched the TECHWR-L archives to no avail.
So, I've decided to post to the list.

First, the scenario: I want my users to download documents from my web page.
Downloading a MS Word file launches MS Word, and the document is displayed,
no problems. However, when I download a second file, a second copy of MS
Word is opened, and the second document is displayed there.

By comparison, when I download PDF files from the intranet, each one is
displayed in the same copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader. (My colleague
reminds me that in Windows Explorer, when I double click the icon of a MS
Word document, it opens in the same window as previously opened files.)

The Helper Applications dialog boxes in Netscape don't have any relevant
checkboxes, etc. that will enable me to control the launch.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Can anyone explain why this happens? Can
anyone give me the email of a human at Netscape who would point me in the
right direction?

Thanks very much.

Joan Michaeli
Head, Technical Writing Unit
Quality Assurance Department
mailto:joan -at- rts -dot- co -dot- il
RTS Software Ltd., the world's leading enterprise service management solution.
Visit our home page at: http://www.rtsgroup.com/