Re: Future use

Subject: Re: Future use
From: "Bergerson, Carl A" <Carl -dot- Bergerson -at- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 07:34:19 -0700

Kimberly wrote in response to Marci:
>>I am in a very similar situation. I am trying to document a
constantly
> changing software product with changing priorities and changing
> schedules.<<

Is there another world?

>>Does anyone have any tips for working effectively in this
> situation?<<

Yes, I do.

To put it simply, don't mention items that are not in the current
version; that serves no useful purpose. If that information belongs
anywhere, it's got to be in marketing literature or the red herring
stuff for the investors.

As to the features being de-implemented, you should give your customers
one or two releases to plan for this. State in the release notes when
the feature will go away and what new features take its place. Provide
examples of old versus new code (procedures, whatever) unless it's
painfully obvious. Better yet, even if it's painfully obvious.

Carl Bergerson
Mission Viejo
Product Information
carl -dot- bergerson -at- unisys -dot- com