Re: Frontpage?

Subject: Re: Frontpage?
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 13:54:14 -0500

At 08:09 AM 3/3/98 -0800, KevinX Feeman wrote:

>Hey all, apparently, Intel has decided that Microsoft Front Page is the
>way that they want to go to create web pages. I was wondering at its
>ease of use. Is it easy to learn without any formal traing or should I
>investigate getting some training? Any input from people who use this
>tool would be appreciated. I can post a summary if there is interest.

FrontPage is a reasonably competent page editor and site management
tool. If you know HTML and basic site-management concepts, you
shouldn't need any training at all; most of what the program does is
fairly obvious.

If you *don't* know HTML and have never managed a website before,
you'll definitely need training, but not in FrontPage. Don't believe
Microsoft's "This is your new webmaster" hype. FrontPage users
must at least understand the basic elements of HTML (heading
levels, types of lists, and so forth) and the basic elements of site
management technique (e.g., whether to use relative or absolute
\URLs, how to set up a staging area for editing and design and then
migrate files to the production server) before you turn them loose on
your company's intranet.

FrontPage makes it very easy for novice users to produce incredibly
awful web pages. That's the down-side. The up-side is that once
you know what you're doing, FrontPage does most of the heavy
lifting for you.

Hope this helps.

--
Barry Campbell