Should we skip HTML?

Subject: Should we skip HTML?
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- NBG -dot- DE>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 20:44:01 +0100

Hello Kristy,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von KASTRY -at- CJDS -dot- COM an All am 09.03.98

KK> Why not provide online help in our product and a PDF or
KK> PDF-like online
KK> manual from our web site and skip HTML help altogether?

considering online help I see no pressing need for HTML in deed.

KK> Can anyone give me
KK> good reasons to include HTML help in addition to the other two
KK> kinds of doc?

For context-sensitive help nothing beats Winhelp yet. HTML help is not ready
for prime time wherever you look. And Winhelp will live for a few more years.

HTML has its merits for "open" documents. You could not imagine search
machines drawing their information from Winhelp or PDF files: META and Hx tags
are way too valuable to miss. But this is not what I consider important for
online docs.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

P.S.: This is my first post in TECHWR-L for quite some time. But I am still
around. If you have some command of German you might enjoy my Web site (see
below).

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance technical writer (electronics, software)