Editing vs. Writing

Subject: Editing vs. Writing
From: "Biederman, K.A." <KBiederman -at- OCWEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:24:02 -0500

Hi everyone-

I'd like to ask the list for some advice regarding a position I've been
offered at work.

My boss has asked me if I'd like to become the editor for our Technical
Publications department. I've been writing for about 5 years now and I'm
not sure if I'd want to do this or not. I told him I'd think about it.

Can anyone out there give me an idea of the differences between the two
positions? Would I have to give up writing altogether and be a grammar
cop? How does this type of position relate to the other tech writers?
Would that place me *above* them? How about money? I would think that
this position would carry a heftier salary (I'm hoping). No mention of
this stuff has been made yet.

If anyone can offer me help, please respond to me off-list. I'm too
swamped to even read the digest these days. TIA.

-Kerry