Re: Breaking into Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Breaking into Technical Writing
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:32:33 -0800

>There is a lot more to technical writing than HTML and page design.

Yes, but it is very possible to *break into* technical writing by
contributing content (words or otherwise) for web pages, brochures and other
materials. Often, writing work is so poorly planned (and regarded) that it
is given to anyone interested in doing it. And you'd be surprised at the
results -- I've seen some excellent writing from unexpected sources.

>I don't think you can learn the core of this profession - extracting
>information from a variety of sources and turning it into something
>comprehensible - by reading about it. It takes other people, either in a
>classroom or on the job.

I wonder how many of us actually had guidance in technical writing from
other technical writers or writing peers when we started. More likely, most
of us applied a natural sense of curiousity and the ability to translate
processes into plain English and just ran with it. Technical writing is a
lot about problem-solving, consistency and exercising other individual
talents.

>What the heck. Go for it.

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer