Re: Odd spelling-checker action

Subject: Re: Odd spelling-checker action
From: Marilyn Fenter <mfenter -at- PTC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:05:54 -0500

P. Diller wrote:

> From pdiller -at- mail -dot- state -dot- mo -dot- us Sat Mar 14 17:34:42 1998
> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 16:57:08 -0500
> From: P Diller <pdiller -at- mail -dot- state -dot- mo -dot- us>
> Subject: Re: Odd spelling-checker action
> To: TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
>
> My favorite spell-checker gaffe was this:
>
> The spell-checker didn't recognize "phlebotomist," and offered
> "phrenologist" instead.

A FrameMaker spell-checker gaffe that still brings a smile to me occurred when
I was a writer at a library software company. As some of you know, the
Circulation of library materials has its own esoteric language. One of these
terms is Checkin. The spell-checker insisted that I replace Checkin with
chicken!

Marilyn Fenter
Technical Writer
Parametric Technology Corp.