Subject: TECHWR-L Web site now available
From: Deborah Ray <debray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:26:56 -0700

Hi all,

Come visit the new TECHWR-L Web site at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/. Included in
this (still very beta) site, you'll find the
following:

SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION
In addition to providing information about subscribing,
unsubscribing, and posting messages, this page also lets
you download a handy TECHWR-L Quick Reference Card
(in PDF format).

LIST INFORMATION
Here, you can get answers to Frequently Asked Questions
about posting rules, digests, no-mail options, archives,
and general TECHWR-L information, among other related
topics. At the bottom of the page, you'll also find a
link to a resources page, where I've listed several
Web sites, bibliographies, and related online
resources. I'm hoping you folks will email me with
suggestions for more.

TOPICS
Check out the summaries of beaten-to-death TECHWR-L
topics. Currently, you'll find just a few completed
summaries, but I'm working on collecting more.
You're welcome to suggest other topics for this list
and provide summaries you've compiled or collected.

Also, in the near future, I plan to add a "best of
postings. Please send along your suggestions or
contributions.

CONTRACTORS
Using this searchable database, you can add your
name, contact information, and interest areas,
or you can search for technical communication
contractors. The database is ready to go, so go
ahead and add your information.

I might later include a "contractor of the month"
feature on the main contractors page...dunno yet,
though. I welcome your suggestions on this idea.

EDUCATION
Using this database, you can search for a TW
program that meets your needs, or (for qualified
spokespersons only) you can add information about
a TW program. This database is not yet populated--
I've opted to invite university faculty and staff
to add their own information so that each entry is
as current and unique as possible.

Also, starting next month, I will publish a students'
page, which will feature a "TW student of the month"
and include a description of projects and accomplishments.
Each month, I'll publish a new student of the month but
will keep previous bios available on the site. All
interested students should email a bio to me that
describes TW-related projects, accomplishments, and
activities. More on this soon.

CHAT
This is a great place to discuss topics that are not
appropriate for TECHWR-L postings but are of interest
to technical communicators. For example, it's an ideal
place for you to discuss grammar issues, software
questions, computer horror stories, or places to eat
at the next STC conference.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Find out how to contact the listowner (you all know Eric)
and the webmaster (that's me, Deb).

That's it for now. As you can see, I'm counting on your
contributions to make this site as information-packed as
possible. If at any time you have suggestions or want to
submit information to the site, please email me at
debray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot-

In the meantime, take a browse through, and keep in mind
that the site is still under construction (still working
on content, consistency, colors, loading time [currently
abysmal!], etc.). I welcome your feedback, particularly
about technical difficulties, such as JavaScript errors,
database problems, broken links, or missing images.

Thanks...and enjoy!
Deborah

* Deborah S. Ray, debray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* co-author _Mastering HTML 4.0_, _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick
Reference_, _The AltaVista Search Revolution_, and others.
* RayComm, Inc., currently accepting contract inquiries.