CBT vs. Training - my thoughts

Subject: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts
From: Ron D Rhodes <Ron_D_Rhodes -at- MAIL -dot- BANKONE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:05:26 -0500

On CBT v. Training

Elissa wrote:

<<<<<<<What are some thoughts out there on Computer Based Training
versus training in the flesh? Are we just fooling ourselves or is CBT
the next wave of effective information transmission?>>>>>

My thoughts,

Stand-up training is always better.
That's my opinion. But I am a realist. Companies are going to "follow
the money," and CBTs are much cheaper than stand-up.

A well-written CBT is effective.
But the operative phrase is "well written." Companies need to
understand that, while a bad trainer can usually communicate a little
knowledge at the very least, a bad CBT doesn't communicate anything at
all.

What is a well-written CBT?
I don't really have the answer to that, sorry. But I know that I have
taken some excellent ones (and some bad ones, too). I am currently
researching what an author must do to write a "good" CBT. If I ever
figure it out, I'll let you know.

Ron Rhodes

PS
I just re-subscribed to this list so I haven't followed any recent
threads. I'll bet lots of great comments already exist on this in the
archives.