Re: writing samples & writing tests

Subject: Re: writing samples & writing tests
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- MALVERNSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:56:13 -0500

------ =_NextPart_001_01BD57DC.A12155E0

I never leave writing samples at an interview, nor do I send in samples.
I politely explain that I am more than happy to bring in samples in
person.

I was recently on an interview. I dutifully brought my writing samples
and showed them to the department manager who said, "This stuff is nice;
but what can you do for us. Here's a bunch of our documentation. Take it
home, mark it up, and come back next week." We talked about the
audience, usability and production requirements.

The next week I came back with the manuals and online help all marked up
and layout and formatting suggestions. Despite the fact that I figured
out that the manager (a non-tech writer) had written the documentation,
I felt very comfortable with this sort of "test" and was fair and
liberal with the green ink (red ink gets old sometimes ;).

Sure, they could have taken my edits and improved the documentation
without hiring me; but I think that by identifying the employer's needs
and showing exactly what I can do for the employer helps non-tech
writers who are in the hiring postion justify their hiring decisions (to
their bosses and themselves).

BTW - it was how the manager handled my revisions during the second
interview that helped me decide to accept their offer. Good thing I held
onto copies of those revisions.

my 2 cents

Kathleen
kpadova -at- malvernsys -dot- com

My opinions only ;)

------ =_NextPart_001_01BD57DC.A12155E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1458.49">

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>I never leave writing samples at an =
interview, nor do I send in samples. I politely explain that I am more =
than happy to bring in samples in person.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>I was recently on an interview. I =
dutifully brought my writing samples and showed them to the department =
manager who said, &quot;This stuff is nice; but what can you do for us. =
Here's a bunch of our documentation. Take it home, mark it up, and come =
back next week.&quot; We talked about the audience, usability and =
production requirements. </FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>The next week I came back with the =
manuals and online help all marked up and layout and formatting =
suggestions. Despite the fact that I figured out that the manager (a =
non-tech writer) had written the documentation, I felt very comfortable =
with this sort of &quot;test&quot; and was fair and liberal with the =
green ink (red ink gets old sometimes ;). </FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>Sure, they could have taken my =
edits and improved the documentation without hiring me; but I think =
that by identifying the employer's needs and showing exactly what I can =
do for the employer helps non-tech writers who are in the hiring =
postion justify their hiring decisions (to their bosses and =
themselves).</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>BTW - it was how the manager =
handled my revisions during the second interview that helped me decide =
to accept their offer. Good thing I held onto copies of those =
revisions.</FONT></P>
<BR>
<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>my 2 cents</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>Kathleen</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>kpadova -at- malvernsys -dot- com</FONT>
<BR>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2>My opinions only ;)</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------ =_NextPart_001_01BD57DC.A12155E0--