CSS Path in HTML Doc

Subject: CSS Path in HTML Doc
From: "Sokohl, Joe" <Joe -dot- Sokohl -at- USMAIL -dot- MPCT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 16:22:36 -0600

Hi all,
I'm creating online doc in HTML (not HTML Help). I have nested
directories for specific funtionalities, but I want to have a CSS
repository I can draw from--without having to have a copy of my CSS's
reside local to the calling HTML file. Anyway, here's my dir path:

z:\root level\
\intro level\
\functionality level\
\doc level
(.htm files)
\style directory (available for all files)

Problem:

When I write my LINK statement, I don't know how to refer to a relative
path that's two steps up from the current doc. Right now I have tried
the following:

<link REL="StyleSheet" HREF="file://root level/intro
level/styles/basic.css" TYPE="text/css">--works, but it's absolute--when
I deliver the application, the users would have to have the EXACT same
pathname, drive letter & all

<link REL="StyleSheet" HREF="///styles/basic.css"
TYPE="text/css">--doesn't work
<link REL="StyleSheet" HREF="../styles/basic.css"
TYPE="text/css">--doesn't work
<link REL="StyleSheet" HREF="basic.css" TYPE="text/css">--works only if
I copy the CSS into the same dir as the .htm file--which sucks, because
then i'd have to copy the CSS multiple times--and keep up with its
changes, making sure after I changed the CSS that I also multicopied
it...

OH--and I'm saddled with the onerous requirement to do this in (ack!)
FrontPage 98.

Any ideas? TIA,

joe
Joe Sokohl
mpct Solutions Corp.
Personal Home Page: http://homepage.interaccess.com/~jsokohl/
PS: This e-mail reflects my thoughts & opinions only, not mpct
Solutions'