Re: Tech Writer - Introvert or Extrovert ?

Subject: Re: Tech Writer - Introvert or Extrovert ?
From: Dianne Driskell <ddriskel -at- CS -dot- UTEXAS -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 08:57:34 -0600

I would be really interested in the speaker's definition of strong
introvert. That said.

My position is technical communicators need to be able to interact well
with many different types of people (personalities). That is, develop
skills that let you get the information you need from your co-workers who,
most of the time, feel like what you are asking for is: not important, too
time-consuming, etc.

I think a good technical communicator is part counselor, part techie.
I also think that, observing people at the STC Austin networking hour, most
of these people are out-going, people-persons.

Ah, another thought, not to exclude "introverts". It probably depends a
lot on the job.

On the whole, there are many skills that a good technical writer needs, but

if I need to vote introvert or extrovert; I vote extrovert.

Dianne Driskell
Publications
Dept. of CS
The University of Texas at Austin