Re: Trademark Question

Subject: Re: Trademark Question
From: Richard Frederick <fred_ri -at- ENG -dot- PRINTRONIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:18:31 -0800

> "Do not use the possessive form of a product name or a product's
> feature name. For example, do not use 'toolbar's buttons' or
> 'PowerPoint's File menu'; instead, use 'toolbar buttons' and
> 'the PowerPoint File menu.'"
>

> Ronni
>

> Ms. Ronni Geist
> Director, Editorial Services
> GeistWriters
> 914.353.EDIT
> ronni -at- geistwriters -dot- com

Ronni,

First of all I ask if Microsoft is setting legal standards, as was implied, or
if they are simply stating their style preference? Secondly, aren't we getting
back into that "Use 'the' in front of a proper noun" question again? Besides,
"PowerPoint's" and "toolbar's" are used as adjectives. Only if it is "PowerPoint
File Menu" is it a noun phrase.

Just an observation. ;-)

Richard