Re: A Different Trademark Question

Subject: Re: A Different Trademark Question
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:08:31 -0500

Marilyn,

Your posting raises a number of questions. Allow me to offer non-lawyer
answers to some of them and to address a couple of general issues along
the way.

First, there is no law that actually compels you to include *any* trademark
information in your documents, be they internal or external. By including
statements that identify your own trademarks in external documents, you
do help protect these as intellectual property of your company, but even in
external documents this is not specifically required by law. Including
acknowledgement of other companies' trademarks is mostly a matter of
courtesy (and a hope for reciprocal treatment); it is never actually
required.
The only time you can actually get in trouble for using someone else's
trademark in your publications is if you explicitly or implicitly indicate
that
the trademark belongs to you, and that's all that the disclaimer protects
against. Is it "necessary" to include trademark notices in your internal
publications? No, not really. Is it "proper"? Maybe, but the case would
be much stronger for external documents.

Second, as to copyright. My understanding is that copyright protection
exists as soon as a document is written, whether or not it is explicitly
claimed. I believe that including a claim statement when you publish
gives you some greater protection because you have notified the reader
that you claim the rights, but the basic rights exist nonetheless.

Finally, as to the approach my company takes. In internal documents,
we basically don't worry about trademarks. In the current template for
externally distributed technical publications we explicitly list the
trademarks we own that appear in the particular guide, include the
URL of our corporate website's trademark page for more complete
trademark information, and give a blanket acknowledgement that
all other trademarks are the property of their owners.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com