Re: Defining Readability Levels

Subject: Re: Defining Readability Levels
From: "L. H. Garlinghouse" <garlinghou -at- WATERLOOINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:41:06 -0600

Somewhere I picked up a general rule that a person reads comfortably
at two grade levels below their potential. Thus a person who can
read at the 12 grade level will be comfortable reading at the 10th.

I was on the staff of a local VoTech school and reading and numeracy
at the 8th grade level was the hoped for norm for entering students.
A surprising number of adults were coping with levels at the 5th
and 6th grade. The point then would be that material for the
"main stream" of my VoTech should be no higher than the 6th grade
level. IMHO this is probably pretty close to reality, and the
existing measures are good enough to keep one from really missing
the mark.

<< All opinions, statements, &c are my own>>
L.H. Garlinghouse, C.Q.E.
Pocahontas AR U.S.A.
(870) 892-4586 ext 7659
garlinghou -at- waterlooindustries -dot- com