Re: ISO9001 certification

Subject: Re: ISO9001 certification
From: "L. H. Garlinghouse" <garlinghou -at- WATERLOOINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:04:12 -0600

Jon Leer <jleer -at- LTC -dot- MV -dot- COM writes:

> I am curious, has anybody on the list gotten ISO certified? Would there be
> any direct benefit for a writer to get certified? (I know large companies
> do this, but could a contract writer's reception be better if certified?)

John:

I got on this list out of curiousity. My main thrust for the last 7
years at two employers (manufacturing) was certification to the ISO
9K standard, which has involved lots of technical writing (thus my
interest in this list).

I doubt that there would be any direct benefit for you going to the
expense of paying a third party auditor to audit you, find you
compliant (hopefully) to the standard, and add your name to a
register of similar enterprises.

There could be some benefit from taking some classes in the standard,
perhaps an executive overview and an auditor's class. This would set
you up for two things: 1. You could decide how much your
enterprise would benefit from creating an ISO 9k Quality system
(whether or not you go to the expense of registration); and 2. You
could be in a better position to tap into the ISO documentation
market by being able to demostrate knowledge of the standard.

There is a good ISO discussion list that you might want to join (out
of curiousity) at:

LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- NODAK -dot- EDU -dot-

in the body put: subscribe iso9000 (your name)

<< All opinions, statements, &c are my own>>
L.H. Garlinghouse, C.Q.E.
Pocahontas AR U.S.A.
(870) 892-4586 ext 7659
garlinghou -at- waterlooindustries -dot- com