Re: Word 7 for Windows vs Formatting problems

Subject: Re: Word 7 for Windows vs Formatting problems
From: Roger Mallett <roger -at- CSICAL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:17:04 -0800

Manual page breaks -- OUCH!!!

With respect to correct/incorrect page numbers being listed in a TOC,
etc., documents that have hidden text can sometimes cause page breaks to
be funny. When generating anything that requires page numbering, page
counts, etc., be sure that the hidden text is not displayed. To turn
hidden text off, select Options from the Tools menu, displays the View
property page and ensure that both Hidden Text and All are unchecked.

An example problem would be if you had "Page X of Y" in a header, where
X is the page code and Y is the numpage code. Lets say that the
document is ten pages long when hidden text is displayed, and eight
pages long when hidden text is not displayed. If the document is
printed while the hidden text is displayed, you would only get eight
pages out of the printer though the header would say there are 10, and
your TOC might show an item is on page 10 (but prints on page 8).

Roger Mallett
Control Systems
(714) 458-5040 x 239