TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
We need 2 experienced technical writers to help produce the documentation
for Synon's flagship product: Obsydian. Obsydian is a Windows-based
application development environment that significantly accelerates the
development and maintenance of enterprise wide business systems. This is a
technically-challenging working environment that would suit a writer with
an interest in new technologies.
Our team of 7 writers and editors is currently engaged in a project to
convert the bulk of our existing online help and printed manuals into HTML
format, utilizing Microsoft's new HTML Help system. This a great
opportunity to get hands-on experience with the next generation of online
* At least 3 years of technical writing experience, preferably in a
commercial software development environment.
* At least 1 year of experience developing online help for Windows
* Ability to write documentation for a technical product based on your own
use of the product and information gathered from design proposals and
interviews with developers and testers.
* Ability to write clear, concise documentation.
* Windows experience.
* College degree, or equivalent experience.
* Experience with HTML.
* Experience with RoboHelp (or RoboHTML) and FrameMaker.
* Familiarity with software development tools.
* Familiarity with relational database concepts.
* Familiarity with server platforms such as AS/400, Windows NT, or Unix.
If you are interested, please reply to me. I have worked at Synon for the
past two years, and will be happy to pass your resume along, or to answer
any questions. (I'm known as Martha Kolman at work.)