Re: Web vs. web?

Subject: Re: Web vs. web?
From: Susan Kocher <sukoch -at- CATHER -dot- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:44:33 GMT

Mark Dando said:

>I suspect that the term "intranet" has grown out of a desire by the IT
>sector to reassure other areas of management about information security.
>When we propose an "intranet" to management, we trying to avoid the notions
>of openess and transparency -- and therefore vulnerability -- conjured up
>by the word "Internet".

Good point, Mark! I'll bet you're right. It's the firewall difference,
plus perhaps the idea that the company can control what newsgroups the
intranet members have access to, or how/whether they can surf the
Web. It implies some sort of centralized control of the participants
and what they're looking at.

Sue