Re: Web vs. web?

Subject: Re: Web vs. web?
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 00:00:15 +1000

A touch of "cart before the horse" here (or is it creative paranoia?)
There is a business need (perhaps, indeed, more imagined than real, but
still a need) for in-house online publishing. Security is paramount in
such an activity. An intranet is an internal network using internet
technologies (http, tcp/ip, etc) but without unrestricted public access.
(Hackers aren't accounted for in this model ...) The firewall is only
necessary if the intranet is to interface with the global Internet in a
reasonably secure way: an islolated intranet doesn't need a firewall any
more than a swimming pool needs an underwater fire escape.

--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia