Writing specific ergonomics

Subject: Writing specific ergonomics
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:37:32 -0700

Another general question:

I have an old wrist injury that flares up during periods of frenetic typing,
ie. churning out a large volume of written material over a few days.

I have tried wrist supports, ergonomic keyboards, raised and lowered trays
and simply wrapping the wrist to stabilize its position. The pain usually
persits, which is quite disappointing but not unexpected. I know there are
hundreds of products out there on the market (I've looked, believe me) but
essentially it comes down to keyboards and wrist exercises for me.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a smaller-than-standard sized
ergonomic keyboard suitable for shorter handspans? Any solutions for tired
shoulders from "hovering" over an arched ergonomic keyboard? Also, could
any of you share wrist-strengthening exercises, if you have a similar
problem?

Please respond off-list, unless you think your comments are of value to the
whole group.

rhart -at- intrinsyc -dot- com

p.s. I checked the techwr-l archives and all postings I saw related to
monitor placement for back and neck comfort, which were interesting.

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer
Intrinsyc Software, Inc.
http://www.intrinsyc.com